About the Association
The Association was formed in 1984 with the principal aim of helping families of children with Down syndrome, and in particular, to help children to realise their full potential. The types of people who join the Association are parents and/or guardians of children and adults with Down syndrome; and professionals, or persons, interested in the welfare of people with Down syndrome generally.
Our mission is to encourage and provide support for people with Down syndrome to achieve their goals
A community that includes and supports people with Down syndrome and their families
OBJECTIVES OF THE ASSOCIATION
- Portray the positive role that people with Down syndrome can play within the community
- Promote the need for accommodation, recreation and support facilities
- Provide support and assistance to parents of children, families and people with Down syndrome
- Ensure new parents of babies with Down syndrome have ongoing access to any support avaliable
- Campaign for educational facilities and programs to be avaliable for all people with Down syndrome
- Drive community awareness and understanding of Down syndrome
The association welcomes both individuals and organisations that wish to support us. If you would like to become a member of DST, please complete this form.
COMPLAINTS AND GRIEVANCES
Down Syndrome Tasmania strives to be an organisation where people are welcomed and treated fairly. We have zero tolerance for bullying and seek to resolve issues as they arise. A copy of our grievance and complaints procedure can be found here. This contains a complaints form that can be returned either to our administrative email or to our dedicated grievance officer. The general rule is if you see something, say something!